Life Science Research Professional 1
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: Mount Hamilton
Posted on: January 12, 2022
The Department of Genetics at Stanford University is seeking a
Life Science Research Professional 1 to join the Stanford Metabolic
Health Center. The LSRP will be a member of a research team that is
using cutting-edge mass spectrometry technologies to detect
metabolic disorders in kids and newborns. The goal of this work is
to detect metabolic abnormalities early to initiate precise
management so that the child can be saved from lifelong
Responsibilities include receiving plasma and urine samples from
hospital and clinics and keep an inventory of these samples,
extract metabolites and lipids and perform mass spectrometry
experiments, and other duties as assigned. The LSRP will be
expected to work closely with other members of the research team
and the supervisor to develop protocols, interpret and analyze the
results of experiments, and suggest modifications to procedures as
appropriate. The position includes lab management tasks such as
ordering supplies, maintaining lab records, and adhering to safety
The candidate must be organized, enjoy problem solving, be a team
player and have strong communication skills. This is an opportunity
for a motivated and reliable person to participate in highly
collaborative, cutting-edge research at the forefront of modern
- Plan and perform experiments in support of research projects in
lab and/or field based on knowledge of scientific theory. Interpret
and perform basic analyses of results.
- Review literature on an ongoing basis to remain current with
new procedures and related research.
- Offer suggestions regarding modifications to procedures and
protocols in collaboration with senior researchers.
- Maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Contribute to publication of findings as needed. Participate in
the preparation of written documents, including procedures,
presentations, and proposals.
- Help with general lab maintenance as needed; maintain lab
stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide
general lab support as needed.
- Help orient and train new staff or students.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Analytical Chemistry, Biology, Molecular
Biology, or related scientific field is preferred.
- Hands-on experience with mass spectrometry is required.
- Experience with metabolomics and/or lipidomics using mass
spectrometry is desired.
- Previous laboratory research experience in academia or industry
- Meticulous record keeping and organizational skills.
- Careful attention to detail in all laboratory techniques.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate experiments
with co-workers is essential.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- General understanding of scientific principles. Demonstrated
performance to use knowledge and skills when needed.
- Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science
principals to problem solve work.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES:
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
WORK STANDARDS (from JDL):
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well
with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal
responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns;
uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable
University policies and procedures, including but not limited to
the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's
Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu .
As an organization that receives federal funding, Stanford
University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement that will apply
to all university employees, including those working remotely in
the United States and applicable subcontractors. To learn more
about COVID policies and guidelines for Stanford University Staff,
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4945
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: E
- Department URL: http://genetics.stanford.edu/
- Requisition ID: 92471 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, Mountain View , Life Science Research Professional 1, Other , Mount Hamilton, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!