Company: Monterey Mushrooms, Inc.
Location: Morgan Hill
Posted on: November 17, 2021
Job Title: Safety SpecialistBusiness Unit: Human
ResourcesLocation: Morgan Hill, CA 115MMHReports to: Human
Resources ManagerWork Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:00 am to 4:00
pmTravel Time %: 0%Type of Position: Full-TimeFLSA Status: Salary
ExemptPosition Summary:The Safety Specialist will develop and
implement collaboration on safety and environmental programs to
minimize the risk of illness and injury in compliance with
applicable regulations. The role ensures that all employees receive
mandated safety and environmental training. Ability to make
independent decisions related to Safety Disciplines and
implementation of Safety Programs while maintaining safety and
environmental records and preparing reports for filing with
regulatory agencies and insurance companies. This position also
advises management of applicable laws and regulations pertaining to
safety compliance.Job Requirements:To perform this job
successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential
duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required for
this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure
individuals with disabilities are able to perform the work
functions.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts frequent audits (weekly and monthly) to ensure that
policies and procedures are being followed consistently
- Develops, implements and ensures compliance with all Federal,
State, and local government requirements concerning employee safety
in accordance with OSHA and the Occupational Injury Benefit
- Prepares, sources, and/or delivers employee training related to
safety, industrial hygiene, and environmental hazards
- Prepares and maintains documents and records including chemical
inventories, facility maps, lockout tag out instructions, personal
protective equipment lists, etc.
- Maintains libraries of safety documents such as Safety Data
Sheets (SDS) in hard copy and online. Oversees GHS program.
- Takes the Lead with Supervisor and Managers for all accidents
and injuries to identify root causes and recommend corrective
actions to reduce the risk of recurrence
- Works with HR and Department Managers to develop, implement and
oversee the "Temporary Transitional Duty" program. Ensures
employees are in jobs that meet their assigned restrictions and
assists with job modification to aid recovery and transition to
- Lead project teams on Safety improvement initiatives (e.g. BBS,
- Ensures that lockout tag-out procedures, Hazardous energy
control programs, work instructions, machine guarding, and personal
protective equipment are in place and that employees are trained in
- Performs safety inspections of facilities in Morgan Hill
- Tracks and reports on the status of risk mitigation
- Leads efforts to implement new Safety mandates
- Leads Safety Monthly meetings with Safety Team
- Does Daily walks of farms and is proactive in Ergonomic and
Safe Practice effortsSecondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares and updates an annual calendar listing due dates for
reports, testing, and other required activities.
- Acts as a safety consultant for new equipment
- Develops updated Safety Training and uploads to Alchemy.
- Administer Shoe program.
- Manages hearing testing.
- Assists in quarterly Safety Awards.
- Other duties as assigned.Supervisory Responsibility:Direct
- Responsible for overseeing Safety training.
- Is responsible for reviewing Safety performance and administers
- Responsible for monitoring work for legal or regulatory
- Observes and practices safety and housekeeping procedures at
- Planning and organizing - Engages in short and long-term
planning, sets priorities to optimize time usage, adheres to
schedules and plans.
- Creativity and Innovation - Initiates conceptual ideas with
practical applications, develops creative strategies and
opportunities, creative thinking and problem solving, promotes a
- Judgment and Decision Making - Solves problems, considers
relevant alternatives before making decisions, displays intuitive
judgment, shows timeliness and conviction in making recommendations
- Teamwork and Relationship-Building Skills - Assists team
members in accomplishing their objectives by helping things go
right, establishes effective working relationships, and promotes
- Adaptability and Change Management Skills - Ability to change
to fit changed circumstances. Has the skill to multi-task and
juggle competing priorities.
- Develops Subordinates or Self - Helps subordinates learn and
grow, maintains current knowledge in the field.
- Communication and Cooperation - Effectively communicate upward,
downward, and laterally. Prevents unproductive responses, improves
the effectiveness of communications and interactions with
- Accountability and Productivity - Holds themselves accountable
to team members, accepts responsibility for their own decisions,
sustains peak performance, and solves problems that impede
productivity.Skills Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong safety and Cal OSHA background with a thorough knowledge
and understanding of Federal, state, and local safety laws and
regulations are essential.
- Experience with implementing BBS (Behavioral Based Safety)
initiatives a plus.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Advanced skill in written communication, especially technical
- Ability to effectively work with a management team to implement
safety programs, and create a culture that values safety.
- Ability in utilization Alchemy as a Trainer (a plus).Education
and Work Experience:Required:
- Bilingual English/Spanish or Punjabi required.
- Ability to keep the information confidential.
- MS Office software including MS Word and Excel and
- Minimum 2 years' experience in a responsible Safety position,
preferably in Agricultural, Manufacturing, or Food/Beverage
- Associate's Degree in related field required.Desired:
- OSHA 30 Hour Certification or trainer
- Safety Coordinator experience preferred
- First Aid CPR Trainer
- Forklift and Loader trainerNotice:The company has reviewed this
job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties
have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job
expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position
described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list
of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities.
Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by
supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent
a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to
change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to
perform, as the company may deem appropriate.Equal Opportunity
Employer/ Veterans/ DisabledFor full details, including physical
demands, request the full job description
Keywords: Monterey Mushrooms, Inc., Mountain View , Safety Specialist, Other , Morgan Hill, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!