Industrial Hygienist (NASA AMES)
Location: Mountain View
Posted on: November 16, 2021
Description Job Description:THIS ISNOTA LONG-TERM TELEWORK
POSITION. Work will be performed at NASA Ames Research facilities.
When appropriate, remote work will be permitted during COVID.TO
FACILITATE TIMELY ACCESS TO GOVERNMENT SYSTEMS AND FACILITIES,U.S.
CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED.Leidos has an exciting opportunity to join
our Industrial Hygiene Team supporting operations at NASA Ames
Research Center at Moffett Field, California. In this role you will
work with a dynamic team to find solutions to challenging problems
in Industrial Hygiene, gain experience working at NASA centers, and
work for a manager that supports career growth. The position works
under general supervision of the Lead Industrial Hygienist and is
expected to apply fundamental industrial hygiene concepts,
practices, and procedures.Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Delivering in-person and online trainings to groups of up to
50. Class participants range from student interns, to PhD
researchers, to blue collared laborers.
- Personal and area noise monitoring to recommend engineering
controls and appropriate HPD noise reduction rating. Create
detailed noise map with sound pressure levels to delineate
hazardous noise areas.
- Develop a comprehensive sampling plan and perform personal/area
air monitoring for a range of chemicals. Use that data to recommend
engineering controls, administrative controls, and PPE.
- Investigate indoor air quality concerns and work with
facilities and maintenance.
- Perform fume hood surveys following ASHRAE 110 guidance and
assess local exhaust ventilation using the ACGIH Ventilation
- Using the ACGIH Ventilation Manual, offer recommendations for
new ventilation design and perform calculations to recommend design
- Calculating potential for oxygen deficiency and chemical gas
buildup in case of accidental compressed gas/cryogen release.
- Perform quantitative respirator fit tests for all employees at
ARC wearing elastomeric respirators.
- Conducting large scale audits for Industrial Hygiene related
hazards and recommending/implementing corrective actions.
- Perform comprehensive annual program reviews including lessons
learned recommendations for improvement.
- Perform quarterly food sanitation inspections of the 3 food
service facilities plus inspect NASA ARC sponsored events serving
- Perform asbestos/lead pre-renovation building surveys and
oversight of asbestos/lead abatement.Required Qualifications:
- BS or BA in Industrial hygiene or Science and 4 years
experience performing industrial hygiene monitoring.
- Knowledge and use of computer skills and typical business
software (i.e., word processing and spreadsheets) is
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and switch
between projects easily.
- Experience managing Industrial Hygiene Programs that include
large tacking/inventory databases for programs such as indoor air
quality, hearing conservation program, chemical hygiene, laboratory
safety plans, ventilation, biosafety, nanomaterial, and
- Being solution oriented with a yes, if rather than no mentality
towards health and safety.
- Experience building and maintaining relationships with research
organizations across center. Ability to develop working
relationships that allow.
- Ability to write and critically review technical reports for
all field work conducted. Technical reports include executive
summaries, process background, means/methods, results, discussions,
and recommendations.MUST BE U.S. CITIZEN, AND CURRENTLY LOCATED IN
THE U.S.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience working with a defined Statement of Work or other
contract based employment.
- Comfortable reading scientific journals to stay up to date on
the latest research and industry standards.
- Knowledge of AIHAs Mathematical Models for Estimating
Occupational Exposure to Chemicals, is a plus but not
- Knowledge of quantitative risk assessment and exposure modeling
tools such as ALOHA and AIHAs IHMOD2, IHSkinPerm, and OHDMod
- Experience working at NASA centers.Pay Range:
Keywords: Leidos, Mountain View , Industrial Hygienist (NASA AMES), Other , Mountain View, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!