Software Engineer (Starlink)
Company: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CORP
Location: Mountain View
Posted on: November 25, 2022
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal
ofenabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (STARLINK)
Want to build the next era of the Internet? Want to write code that
ships to thousands of satellites in space? Want to develop the
infrastructure necessary tobring high speed broadband to every
corner of the world?
The Starlink software team is solving challenges underpinning every
aspect of SpaceX's satellite internet project, and we're looking
for engineers to join us in building:
- Next generation networking technologies to direct data through
an ever changing network of satellites, ground stations, and
- Firmware and controls software running on custom hardware that
flies the world's largest fleet of spacecraft.
- Infrastructure and tools to enable rapid development and
reliable deployment of our code to dynamic production
Our software engineers are responsible for the complete lifecycle
of the software they create, including development, testing, and
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems for our
low latency, high capacity satellite-based global software defined
- Design and implement highly available, fault-tolerant network
that operates for long periods of time with minimal maintenance at
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and
quantify technical constraints.
- Collaborate with other engineers to plan and organize the
development of our products.
There are several sub-teams within Starlink software with different
focus areas. Applicants will interview for specific teams based on
hiring needs and qualifications. Specific team responsibilities
- Write high quality Linux based software for common processors
and microcontrollers (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Invent new tools that enable more frequent and reliable
software deployment, test execution, and data analysis as part of a
continuous integration and release system.
- Develop tools that allow for test execution across multiple
environments: virtualized hardware, real hardware-in-the-loop
simulations, and on-orbit testing.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or
STEM discipline; OR 2+ years of experience in software development
in lieu of a degree.
- Development experience in C, C++, python, or mobile development
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in
real world applications/projects.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical
skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of networks, electronics, math, and
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit
- Excellent communication skills both written and
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with
changing needs and requirements.
Some preferred skills and experience depend on the specific team
within Starlink software, and may include:
- Experience with networking protocols (UDP, TCP/IP,
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems.
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed
systems and internet services.
- Deep understanding of testing, continuous integration, build,
deployment & continuous monitoring.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR .
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is
governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and
will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CORP, Mountain View , Software Engineer (Starlink), IT / Software / Systems , Mountain View, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!