Software Engineer (Direct To Cell)
Company: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CORP
Location: Mountain View
Posted on: November 23, 2022
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity
is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one
where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the
technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal
ofenabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (DIRECT TO CELL)
SpaceX is developing a breakthrough new Direct to Cell satellite
network to bring ubiquitous cellular connectivity worldwide via the
Starlink constellation. We are partnering with telecommunication
companies around the world to bring this service directly from
satellites to existing cell phones, with the goal of providing
coverage anywhere a phone can see the sky.
More than 20% of the United States and 90% of the Earth remain
uncovered by existing wireless networks, negatively impacting
communities around the world. Starlink was designed to connect the
disconnected and this new product will greatly expand that mission,
extending Starlink's potential reach to billions of existing
cellular devices. The applications range from connecting hikers in
national parks, emergency workers such as firefighters, rural
communities, remote sensors and devices, and people and devices in
emergency situations. You can learn more about this recently
announced effort .
We are seeking talented software engineers to join us in making
this vision a reality and solving a wide range of novel engineering
- Cutting-edge networking algorithms capable of connecting
thousands of satellites to millions of users in real time.
- Custom 4G LTE and 5G network software supporting all layers of
the protocol stack (L1/L2/L3), running for the first time on
hardware in space.
- Firmware and control software for one of the most complex
communication payloads ever built, running on custom-built silicon
- Infrastructure and tools enabling a highly reliable,
software-defined global network.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems to
create a global software-defined cellular network from
- Develop algorithms for efficient operation of the network
including capacity planning, throughput allocation, fault-recovery,
and network routing.
- Participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and
quantify technical constraints.
- Collaborate with other engineers to plan and organize the
development of our products.
- Partner with the broader engineering team to design the
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or
STEM discipline OR 2+ years of professional experience in software
development, in lieu of a degree.
- Development experience in Python, Java, C, or C++.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Developed, debugged and deployed software that has been used in
real world applications/projects.
- Creative approach to problem solving, exceptional analytical
skills and engineering fundamentals.
- Solid fundamental knowledge of networks, electronics, math, and
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit
- Excellent communication skills both written and
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with
changing needs and requirements.
- Experience developing software for LTE or 5G networks.
- Experience with networking protocols (UDP, TCP, etc).
- Experience with RF system development and operation.
- Experience in C++ for high performance systems.
- Experience with security issues associated with distributed
systems and internet services.
- Deep understanding of testing, continuous integration, build,
deployment & continuous monitoring.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export
regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms
Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent
resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.
1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from
the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is
governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and
will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion,
gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability
status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status,
mental or physical disability or any other legally protected
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action
Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants
requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview
process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310)
Keywords: SPACE EXPLORATION TECHNOLOGIES CORP, Mountain View , Software Engineer (Direct To Cell), IT / Software / Systems , Mountain View, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!