DevOps Software Engineer
Location: Mountain View
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Rockets are flying into space and landing on drone ships, cars are
driving autonomously, and HD video calls can connect people on
opposite sides of the globe. But a company doing their business
taxes is still extremely manual, tedious, and just...painful.
That's why neo.tax exists. We want to use modern technology to
bring business taxes into the 21st century.
We're starting with the R&D tax credit. Our first product
simplifies the complex and difficult process of helping companies
apply for the IRS R&D Tax Credit, which puts hundreds of
thousands of dollars into each company's pocket.
But this is only the start.
Our vision is to leverage AI to map the tax genome and help small
businesses automate their taxes and optimize their entire financial
strategy. In other words, what used to be available to the top 0.1%
of companies is now available to all SMBs. In the future, neo.tax
will become the essential tax software stack for small
We just raised our series A, and we're now looking to build the
About The Neo.tax Team
Our co-founders are:
- a former IRS agent, who has been a CPA for over 20 years,
- a Stanford PhD in machine learning, and
- a former Intuit product manager
Along the way, we've picked up more people from engineering,
product, design, sales, and taxes.
But now it's time to level up. This is why we need to grow our
team, and this is where you come in! If you are intrigued by what
you read, keep reading below. ----
P.S. We are a remote company, but prefer to hire in time zones that
can overlap with our HQ in Mountain View, CA.
About The DevOps Software Engineer Role
We are looking for a DevOps Software Engineer at neo.tax to make
our software systems and processes as robust and efficient as
possible! You'll own projects from start to finish working closely
with our engineering team and data scientist. Your responsibilities
will include deploying product updates, identifying production
issues and implementing integrations that improve developer
productivity and meet customer needs. If you have a solid
background in software engineering, cloud deployments, continuous
integration, and Node.js, we'd like to meet you.
neo.tax is built primarily in Typescript and Python; we use Node +
Postgres on the backend, React on the frontend, and our APIs are in
GraphQL. We use Google Cloud and Netlify for our deployments, and
CircleCI for our continuous integration pipeline. We'll look to you
to bring your skillset and experience to build within this
environment and improve our systems and processes.
At neo.tax, we take our engineering culture seriously. Here's what
we look for:
- Communication is paramount to a strong engineering team, and
the best communication is ego-free
- Sense of Ownership
- When a bug gets discovered or things start to break, you don't
point the finger at someone else; you work with your teammates to
come up with a solution
- Given a problem, you learn and acquire all the tools you need
to solve that problem-even if it's somewhat outside your comfort
- If you're confronted with a hard problem you don't give
up-instead you hustle, hustle, hustle.
- When we meet you, we'll ask ourselves: "Is this person a joy to
work with? Would I be excited to work with this person?"
- We're not gonna lie-we shamelessly stole this from Stripe's
- Curiosity + Growth Mindset
- We hire for slope-not y-intercept!
- i.e., we care more about your aptitude than your
- No matter how seasoned you are, there's also something new we
can learn from each other
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture by
producing clean, efficient code
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting
- Review, debug, and document code
- Document development phases and monitor systems
- Ensure software is up-to-date with latest technologies
- Develop software to integrate with internal back-end
- Perform root cause analysis for production errors
- Design procedures for system troubleshooting and
- Implement integrations requested by customers
- Deploy updates and fixes
- Build tools to reduce occurrences of errors and improve
- 5+ years experience in professional software development,
ideally some of which you've spent in startups
- Work experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar software
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL
- Experience owning technically challenging and demanding
- Experience with cloud-based deployment infrastructure like GCP,
AWS, or Azure
- Experience with continuous integration systems, such as
CircleCI, Travis CI, or Jenkins
- Ability to make technical decisions quickly, while looping in
key stakeholders, too
- A customer-first mindset and an interest in talking with
customers to make sure what we're building meets their needs
- Habit of introspection and understanding what's helped you be
successful in the past
- Bonus points if you have experience in mentoring other team
members, and have previously worked closely with designers and
- BSc in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field
Compensation will consist of the following elements:
- A cash package in line with a well-funded, high-growth
- Equity. Meaningful ownership in a company that has enormous
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits
- An Oura ring (we're big on health and wellness)
- Unlimited PTO
neo.tax is committed to being an equal opportunity employer.
neo.tax is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We
do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran
status, or disability status.
Applicants Only: External recruiting agency resume submissions will
not be accepted.
Keywords: neo.tax, Mountain View , DevOps Software Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Mountain View, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!